In this article, we will discuss the comparison between two well-known diet programs, Medifast vs Optavia. They both claim to be able to help you lose weight within a short period of time. Both diet programs aim to limit your calorie intake by introducing meal replacements. So, which one is actually better? You will find out below.
What we are going to discuss in this article include:
– What ingredients that are used in Medifast and Optavia foods
– The available diet plans in each brand
– Which diet program that is generally more affordable
– The effectiveness of Medifast vs Optavia
– The weaknesses or potential side effects on each diet program
– Whether Medifast or Optavia is better for you
First of all, let’s take a look at the ingredients used in Medifast’s and Optavia’s foods. This is important because we need to make sure that the meals and snacks that you eat are truly nutritious and beneficial for your body. You may also want to avoid certain ingredients that increase your chance of gaining instead of losing weight. See also: Wonderslim Vs Optavia.
Medifast definitely has excellent quality ingredients. In general, the ingredients can be classified into three groups.
– First, there are proteins, low-glycemic carbohydrates, and high-quality fats. Belonging to this group are egg whites, soy protein isolate, milk protein isolate, fructose, inulin, wheat flour, etc. These are your primary source of energy coming in carefully controlled amounts to help you lose weight.
– Minerals and vitamins. You need to ensure that you get enough minerals and vitamins for normal bodily functions and proper overall fitness.
– Functional ingredients. Belonging to this group are antioxidants, glucosamine, quercetin, caffeine, blueberry powder, and Echinacea. These ingredients are added for specific benefits, such as supporting the joint health, supporting the immune system, and boosting your metabolism. Unfortunately, some products do contain artificial flavorings.
Optavia has a complex eating system designed to help you lose weight quickly and develop healthy lifestyle habits. Comparing the ingredients of Medifast vs Optavia is not a straightforward task because they use a wide variety of ingredients.
– Whey protein and pea protein. You probably have heard about whey protein if you have ever followed a weight management diet plan or if you are an avid user of some protein supplements. Whey protein can help you burn fat without losing your muscle mass. Meanwhile, pea protein is rich of beneficial amino acids and is helpful for building lean muscle mass.
– Fiber. This ingredient is commonly found in weight-loss products because it can prevent overeating. It also helps to lower the blood pressure.
– Dextrin. It is a hydrolyzed starch extracted from tapioca, rice, or corn. It can help to lower your cholesterol and is often found in fiber supplements.
– Monk fruit. This is a healthy and natural sugar replacement. It is said that monk fruit is 300x sweeter than regular sugar. Hence, you can make your food sweet with just a small amount of the fruit. This ingredient also has anti-fatigue effects.
– Bacillus coagulans. This is a probiotic that can promote the digestive health. It can help to prevent diarrhea and even colon cancer. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Medifast: Available Diet Plans
Now, let’s take a look at the diet plans of Medifast vs Optavia. Medifast offers two diet plans. The first one is Medifast Go. The second one is Medifast Flex. The difference between the two is the number of meal replacements and how much cooking involved. However, if you don’t want to do manual cooking, you can always order the food from the company.
Medifast Go consists of five meal replacements. For breakfast, you get the Medifast pancakes. Then, between the morning and afternoon, you drink the Medifast shake. For lunch, you get the Medifast soup. For a mid-afternoon snack, you can get a crunch bar. For dinner, you can your own meal which is made from lean protein and vegetables (for example: salmon and spinach). You can get an evening snack in the form of a soft bake from Medifast.
Medifast Flex consists of four meal replacements. For breakfast, you get a Medifast oatmeal. For the mid-morning treat, you get one of the Medifast hot drinks. For lunch and dinner, you need to prepare your own meals which are made from protein and vegetables, such as fish, chicken, salad, spinach, and broccoli. For the evening snack, you can get the Medifast pudding with skim milk. This diet plan is designed to help you lose weight more quickly.
Optavia: Available Diet Plans
Optavia offers several different diet plans. There are Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan, Optimal Weight 4&2&1 Plan, and Optimal Health 3&3 Plan. They involve different kinds of food and focus on different things.
With the Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan, you get six different meals per day. This plan is designed to ease your body into a fat-burning state without losing your muscle mass. With this plan, you can choose from more than 60 Fueling (replacement meal) options and get Optavia’s Lean and Green meals.
With the Optimal Weight 4&2&1 Plan, you get a more flexible meal system in which you can eat small portions of any kind of food without any exception. You will get four main meals per day from Optavia’s Fuelings, and you will need to prepare two Lean and Green meals as well as one healthy snack per day.
With the Optimal Health 3&3 Plan, you are guided to maintain your current weight and health. In other words, this plan is meant for those who have successfully lost some body weight and want to keep in shape. This plan consists of healthy shakes, nutritious smoothies, and protein bars. It includes three Fuelings per day and three meals that you prepare by yourself.
Between Medifast vs Optavia, which one is actually more affordable and valuable? Well, they are actually quite close. However, Medifast is slightly better, at least for a first-timer, as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the products.
The cost for a Medifast diet program varies from person to person, depending on the chosen diet plan. The average monthly cost is usually about $300 – $400. Keep in mind that if you want to purchase more meal replacements separately, you will need to pay about $17 for each seven-pack bar, shake, or smoothie. Nevertheless, the company provides a 30-day money-back guarantee which will allow you to get a refund if you are not satisfied with their products.
The cost of an Optavia diet program also varies depending on the diet plan that you choose. However, the cost is quite comparable. The average monthly cost is about $350. To give you a clearer picture, the Optimal Weight 5&1 Plan costs $392 per month, whereas the Optimal Health 3&3 Plan costs $273 per month.
Medifast works by pushing your body into a fat-burning mode. This is achieved by eating the Medifast meal replacements and the other foods that have been approved by the company. If you follow the plan carefully, you should be able to lose some body weight.
The weight loss principle of Medifast is basic yet highly effective. The main idea is creating a calorie deficit. The diet has a calorie restriction, but it is still with balanced nutrition. The included lean proteins, low-glycemic carbohydrates, and healthy fats will ensure that you still get sufficient nutrition while burning down excessive calories in your body.
Optavia is quite similar, as it also brings your body into a fat-burning state. It is supposed to help you reach an ideal body weight while preserving your muscle tissue. The main idea is also creating a calorie deficit. Optavia claims to be able to keep you hooked for a longer time with its great-tasting foods and drinks. However, some people still dislike the flavors. Some people say that Optavia’s foods are not as tasty as Medifast’s.
Potential Side Effects
Medifast and Optavia are generally safe diet programs. However, it has been warned by experts that a long-term low-calorie diet is bad for your overall health, as it may cause excessive fatigue, gallstones, and even hair loss.
In some cases, these diet programs may also cause headaches, dizziness, gas, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and constipation. These problems may happen at the start of your diet program because your body needs to adjust to the sudden change of calorie intake. Your body may also need to adjust itself to the sudden change of nutrition – this is especially true if you are used to eating unbalanced foods or junk foods.
However, if you get severe symptoms, you need to stop your consumption. Although this is a very rare case, there is still a small risk that you are allergic to one of the ingredients. If you get serious allergy symptoms (such as rash, abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, headaches, dizziness, and increased heart rate), you need to contact a healthcare provider immediately. If you are allergic to certain food ingredients, make sure to evaluate the product labels before consuming them.
Medifast vs Optavia
- Delicious French Vanilla Flavor
- Only 110 Calories
- Whopping 14 Grams of Protein Per Serving
- Only 1/2 Gram of Fat
- Gluten Free
- This rich and creamy shake
- With its bold dark chocolate flavor
- High in protein, and low in fat
- Full of antioxidants
- Certified gluten-free
While both diet programs are quite similar, Medifast is generally more recommended. Its foods are tastier, so you won’t get bored quickly. You probably will enjoy the foods. In addition, it has a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the products.